Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Pink Pony

Last night was pretty tough. I was feeling a little delicate as my friends from back home, ash, were in town the night before and drinks were taken. Bobs too wasn't in top form as she's recovering from a nasty flu.
Neither of us was in the mood for cooking so eating out was the only solution.
Staying local, as it looked like rain, we went to The Pink Pony on Ludlow Street. My friend Jeff once commented that this was his favourite street in the world and there is a stack of cool places on it.
It worked out well for Bobs and me as I got to look at some vintage guitars and she got to check out some kinda pricey clothes in Shop on Stanton on the way there.
I like The Pink Pony. It was the first place Bobs took me when I visited her for the first time last year and their veggie burger is a winner. The burger itself is fine but it's what comes with it that makes it a treat. A really fresh bun, really crunchy lettuce and onion and a choice of 4 cheeses. I went for Swiss (why would you have brie on a burger?) and there was plenty of it.
The burger comes with a choice of shoestring fries or home fries. I chose the latter but due to a mix-up got both. The shoestrings are a little bizarre. It's a bit like the chef has put some air in the fryer. There is no potato whatsoever. The home fries are great though. They're more like a boiled potato that's been quickly introduced to the pan to get some crunch and seasoning.
Bobs wanted protein so got the salmon. It was served on a bed of  risotto with a red wine sauce which I had a nibble off and certainly was good.
The price was pretty good. Less than 10 bucks for the burger which is great as it feels more like a restaurant than a cafe. So, we headed home, hunger satiated and my hangover gone.
That night we watched Out-foxed... Not so good.

1 comment:

rachykeys said...

I had that very same burger yknow, well not the same one you ate obviously... You know what I mean! Yes very good indeed. Hope you sampled the chocolate cake too!